True girl bosses are always financially smart, even during the holidays. Don’t allow the holidays to trip you up and get you off your financial game.
The holidays are undoubtedly my favorite time of year. I love spending time with family and friends, seeing the holiday lights lifted above the streets, and eating all of the delicious food.
The holidays are also a time of giving, which includes loads of shopping. I hate being broke around the holidays because you can’t get people what you truly want to give them, and I also don’t like being broke after the holidays. Who wants to go into the new year broke? I know I don’t and this year I won’t.
10 Ways To Save During The Holidays
This post contains affiliate links.
- Don’t Just Put Everything On Credit– Credit cards are great in theory because you can get what you want in the moment even if you do not have the funds for it, but you don’t want to deal with that credit card bill after the holidays. I would say don’t put everything on your credit card, constantly monitor your balance, and be smart about your purchases. Know your balance before every purchase you make and ensure you can pay back your bill in FULL. The more you allow it to accumulate the bigger debt you will find yourself in.
2. Have A Plan- Yes, you need plan even when you are going shopping. I am sure you can all agree with me when I say mindless shopping almost always equates to overspending. Make a list of the specific gifts you want to get people and yourself and stick to that list. Have a budget as well with your plan, so you have an idea how much you are going to spend before you enter the store.
3. Beware Of The Word “Sale”- Sales can be great, and I love a good sale. But remember many times companies spike up prices, and then put items on sale. (So there really isn’t much of a sale) Make sure before you mindlessly full your cart because you see 30% off, that the sale is worth it. In addition, think to yourself would you buy this item if it was not on sale? If not, then you probably don’t need it.
4. Do Your Research- Check out the sales before you get to the stores! It always feels better to be prepared, and this will help you set a budget. Also, it helps to have an idea of what gifts people want because it is much better to get someone something they will actually use. When you know what people want, you can look into what stores will give it to you for the best prices.
5. Prioritize- Outline your needs and wants for the holiday season. If you need something like a new winter coat because your old one no longer keeps you warm, than prioritize that over a new makeup palette. If you are going to purchase something on your wants list, make sure it is worth it and valuable.
6. Set Aside Spending and Saving Money- Along with having a plan, I said you should have a budget. It is easy to empty out your entire Checkings account during the holidays, so make sure before you hit the streets, you allocate an amount of money to your Savings account. This way you won’t touch this money, and you will have emergency money if you do go broke after the holidays. But, we both know this won’t happen this year because you are reading this post right now! Remember, girl bosses don’t go broke.
7. Cut Back- We have to prepare for the holidays because we know we are going to be spending more money than usual. In preparation, it helps to start cutting back in your expenses so you can put that money towards gifts. This might mean eating out a few less times or making your own coffee for a month.
8. Shop Online- I was browsing Barnes and Nobles because I wanted to read some inspiring girl boss books, and I checked Amazon for the same book and it was so much cheaper! The only thing about buying online is shipping and handling, but many websites during the holidays will give free shipping! Also, it it easier to browse online for the best prices than to go from store to store.
This was one of the books I was looking at in Barnes and Nobles, and it was like $20!
9. Be Creative- You don’t have to always go out and spurlge on a gift. You can print out a picture of you and your friend at a local CVS, buy an affordable frame, write why you love the person in a card, and you have a genuine gift.
10. Make Money While Shopping- I am constantly looking for ways to make my money work for me. So, if I am going to be shopping (spending money) while not make money at the same time? Have you heard of Ebates? If not, get into it immediately. With Ebates you can shop online at your favorite stores, earn cash back on your purchases, and then get a paycheck! Its a win win situation!
Still, a little lost how it works? I was at first too until I realized how easy it was to make some extra holiday cash. First, click on the Ebates link and sign up. It’s super easy and you immediately get $10 when you sign up. Second, check out the deals your favorite stores are having. If Bloomingdales is having 30% off these suede burgundy booties that you need to have go check it out. Then, if you love what you see and decide to make a purchase on Bloomingdales website, Ebates will track how much you spent and give you cash back on your purchase. Lastly, sign in to Ebates and your cute little check awaits you. I know it’s that easy. So next time you spurlge online make sure you are making money from it!
We can all agree that feeling financially stressed is not a good feeling. I don’t like to feel short on money and not be able to provide for myself. I want to always be able to meet my financial responsibilities and provide for myself, but also reward myself. Yes, we need to give ourselves holiday treats as much as we give them to others.
Remember follow girl bosses, we have to take care of ourselves first before we can take care of others. So, this holiday season go out shopping with a plan, so you enter 2017 feeling
good great about your finances.
Comment below with any shopping tips you have, I would love to hear more ideas.
- 4 Simple Ways To Be Rich In Your Twenties
- 8 Ways To Save Money In College
- Time of Reflection 2016: Why I Am Thankful
Want some girl boss inspiration? Read the amazing interview I had with a very special girl boss and entrepreneur. Read More Here.
Check out my favorite blogging resources and what I used to start and grow my blog.
One of my favorite resources and what has helped me really jump start my blogging career is this eBook by Abby Lawson called Building A Framework: The Ultimate Blogging Handbook. This eBook can help new and old bloggers reach the next step towards earning an income from blogging.
Before you start a blog, make sure you have the best site to host it!
Are you new to WP engine? If you sign up today, you will Save 20% off your first payment, if you are interested comment under this post and I’ll email you the code!
Join my Newsletter and Mindful Rise family by signing up for below to get freebies, inspiration, and blog updates straight to your inbox.
Want to be a step closer to becoming a financially smart girl boss? Grab a copy of my Best Tips To Manage Your Finances in 2017!
I strongly believe making good financial choices is crucial to becoming successful. In 2017, I want us to take control of our finances and feel more equipped to make better choices. If one of your 2017 goals is to save money or spend more wisely then this worksheet is for you!